Table of Contents of Digitized Material from the Straits Chinese Magazine
Volume 1 Issue 1
3. Chinese Athleticism (V.1 issue 1, news item)
4. Hail Victoria! (V.1 issue 1, poem)
Volume 2 Issue 6
5. “A Victim of Chap-Ji-Ki” (V.2 issue 6; Short Story)
6. “The Awakening of Oh Seng Hong” (V.2 issue 6; Short Story)
What is “Digitizing ‘Chinese Englishmen’?This is a digital project focusing on the creation of “Asian Victorians” in Southeast Asia under British colonialism. It focuses on the digitization and annotation of the Straits Chinese Magazine, a journal produced by the Chinese diaspora in Southeast Asia in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
Contribute!We are actively looking for people to help with digitization, annotation, commentary and editing in this project. If you are interested in participating, please contact the site director, Adeline Koh, Ph.D.
- Askay Chang on Straits Chinese Magazine
- Jessica Langer on About
- Saul Fimbrez on About
- Addressing Archival Silence on 19th Century Colonialism – Part 1: The Power of the Archive | Adeline Koh on ‘Chinese Athleticism’
- Addressing Archival Silence on 19th Century Colonialism – Part 1: The Power of the Archive | Adeline Koh on A Victim of ‘Chap-Ji-Ki’